Job title: Commis Sommelier
Company: Kerzner International
Job description: Commis Sommelier
At One&Only, we exist to create joy for our guests through anticipation, creativity, precision, empathy and warmth. We tailor every aspect of our guests’ stay to bring their dreams and desires to life. With an atmosphere that’s chic but wonderfully unstuffy™, and a team who are meticulous but warm, we seek to exceed our guests’ expectations at every possible turn.
Sparkling in warm Indian Ocean, on a private peninsula wrapped in ribbons of sand, One&Only Le Saint Géran is a vibrant tropical playground where the marvels of Mauritius are revealed in ultimate style. With abundant knowledge and generosity, we anticipate our guest’s every need and surpass expectations. Whether we are designing the perfect family day out or arranging a romantic private dinner, we approach everything with imagination to spark a sense of playfulness, discovery and adventure. This is not simply our job, it’s our passion.
About the Role
The Commis Sommelier is responsible for assisting the Head Sommelier, for performing his/her assigned tasks to the highest professional standards and for displaying good salesmanship in upselling skills.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- To ensure all mise-en-place is correctly prepared prior to commencing service, i.e., glassware, ice buckets, decanters etc.
- To present the wine list within the time parameters set by the resort.
- To demonstrate excellent product knowledge of all food and beverage offered by the resort.
- To assist the Head Sommelier with requisitions that are placed according to the restaurants’/bar’s requirements and to ensure that wastage is minimized.
- To always act in a responsible manner, especially regarding the sale of alcoholic beverages.
- To ensure that all tasks assigned by the Head Sommelier, are completed, in a timely manner.
- To ensure the least breakage of glasses by working in a professional manner.
- To be conscious and responsible regarding energy and water conservation.
- To report incidents of breakages, equipment repair and maintenance to Head Sommelier.
- To be fully aware about all health and safety, fire and emergency procedures.
- To handle any guest complaints in a professional manner, as per the Resort’s Policy & Procedure (service recovery).
- To practice proper telephone etiquette with colleagues and the Resort’s guests.
- To check, read and understand the restaurant diary or communication booklet, ensuring that all information is well passed on before starting a shift.
- To review the guest preferences, prior to approaching the guest tables, if recorded, as promised to our customers.
- To double-check the guest checks/bills before presenting to the customer, ensuring no discrepancies through correct billing.
- To be involved in the monthly stock take and to check all variances and transfers.
- To assist in maintaining PAR level.
- To communicate with guests and to report guests’ feedback to the superiors, ensuring quality level of service is always maintained.
The desired qualifications for this role are at least a School Certificate and a National Certificate Level 3 in Restaurant and Bar Service. The ideal candidate should have at least 2 years of experience in the same role in an international ultra-luxury resort and must be fluent in written and spoken English and French.
Position open for locals only
Our brand is expanding faster than ever before. We are investing in the growth of our company, and that means we are committed to investing in you. Join a team that is open-hearted, intuitive, generous, and spontaneous in spirit. We believe in making our guests happy beyond anything they have ever imagined. We wow them at every turn and create memories that will last a lifetime. You will be at the heart of this vision, to constantly innovate to deliver Amazing Experiences and Everlasting Memories.
Date posted: Sun, 02 Jul 2023 06:06:52 GMT