In 2005, Mohamad Jiaved Ruhumatally was sentenced to 40 years in prison for the murder of Gérald Lagesse during the robbery of the Mauritius Commercial Bank in Port-Louis. On appeal, the Privy Council ordered a retrial, on a reduced charge of manslaughter, due to serious irregularities found in the original trial.

Sentenced to 40 years in prison for the murder of Gérald Lagesse in February 2005, Mohamad Jiaved Ruhumatally obtained, on appeal, before the King's Privy Council, the holding of a new trial. The British Lords declared the trial void at first instance due to serious irregularities during the work at the assizes. He will be tried again on a reduced charge.

In fact, Mohamad Jiaved Ruhumatally, aged 44, contested the 40-year prison sentence which had been imposed on him on appeal before the Supreme Court, for the assassination of Gérald Lagesse. The crime occurred on February 11, 2005 in the wake of the robbery of the Mauritius Commercial Bank (MCB) in Port-Louis. Gérald Lagesse, former Customer Care Supervisor of the bank, was found dead, bound and gagged, in the vault. The sum of Rs 51.8 million was taken that day. The autopsy concluded that he died of asphyxiation.

Prosecuted in front of a jury, Mohamad Jiaved Ruhumatally was sentenced to 42 years in prison on December 14, 2015. A sentence which was, however, reduced to 40 years on appeal before the Supreme Court. Dissatisfied with the verdict, he appealed to the King's Privy Council.

In their ruling, Law Lords David Lloyd-Jones, Nicholas Archibald Hamblen, Ben Stephens, Sir Timothy Holroyde and Lady Ingrid Ann Simler declared the trial a mistrial due to “serious irregularities”. They noted several major errors in the late judge's instructions to the jury, particularly regarding the interpretation of the testimony of Dr Sudesh Kumar Gungadin, head of the police forensic department, on the post-mortem examination.

The most notable involved the misinterpretation of evidence relating to the manner in which Mohamad Jiaved Ruhumatally's shirt was tied around the victim's mouth. The judge erroneously suggested that the shirt covered both “the victim’s mouth and nose,” thereby worsening his ability to breathe.

However, the evidence clearly showed that the shirt was only fastened around the mouth, according to the Law Lords. Point argued on appeal by the detainee's lawyers, namely Mᵉs James Prusram Ramdhun and Zaredhin Jaunbaccus. In addition, the Privy Council wished to recall that the Director of Public Prosecutions, Mᵉ Rashid Ahmine, considered the option of a new trial on a reduced charge, in this case of “manslaughter”.

Two other perpetrators of the crime, Daniel Désiré Steve Monvoisin and Laval Sambacaille, were sentenced to 16 years in prison. The verdict was pronounced on March 15, 2013 in the Assize Court after they had pleaded guilty to “manslaughter”.

Leave a reply below

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Contact Business

Captcha Code